Investing in precious metals can be a lucrative and interesting pastime, but you must first do your research thoroughly. One ounce silver bullion coins are one of the most affordable ways to begin investing, especially when compared to the current gold coin prices. The value of silver bullion coins are gauged on their weight. Some of the most popular coins are the Mexican Silver Libertad, Canadian Silver Maple Leaf, and American Silver Eagles.
You must first understand the various grades of silver coins available before you begin investing. It is understood that the higher the grade, the larger the value of the coin which is why a grade system has been established, to identify how valuable a particular silver bullion coin is. The various grades are as follows:
- AG-3: AG stands for “Almost Good”, and is the lowest type of grade for silver bullion coins, and is at the bottom of the scale. Junk silver coins fall under this category because this means that a coin is used up. However, with some effort, you can identify the date of the coin, although sometimes only the last two digits may be visible.
- G-4: Good means that a coin is heavily worn, and its legend and design may be visible, although it will still be vague in some areas of the coin. This grade doesn’t require full rims although you can still identify the mint mark and the date.
- VG-8: Very Good coins, which refers to coins that are well worn although the design is still clear. The coin is also flat and lacks detail. It is almost always a requirement to have the full rims for this grade, which means that the line around the coin edges where it was raised up is still visible.
- VF-20: Very Fine sometimes, which may come with a + mark after the grade which defines that it is “greater than”.
- EF-40: Extremely fine coins mean that there is only very light wear on the coin’s highest points.
- AU-50: Almost uncirculated, which means that a coin’s wear leaves visible traces on its highest points.
- MS-60: Mint state of 60 which is also an uncirculated coin
- Ms-70: Mint state perfect and uncirculated, which is the highest of the silver bullion grades. There are no coins of MS-70 grade which are in circulation. This is one of the best kind of coin that you can invest in.
If you want to learn more about the value of the coins you own, it’s always best to take them to a trusted dealer and get them appraised.